Sunday, April 30, 2006

Big Brother ^H^H^H^^H^H Microsoft knows what's best for you

I wanted to share something that I just noticed on this PC. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on this desktop, and apparently Microsoft is assuming that they know what security and update settings I want. Yesterday I had the little yellow shield come up in my clock tray informing me that my system was downloading updates automatically, as I had set. I had chosen the "download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them" setting. I was checking my system today, since I didn't remember choosing updates to install after that, and lo and behold, the automatic updates setting had been changed. Hmm, I wonder who did that...

If you want to check your own system, open Start->Settings->Control Panel->Automatic Updates and look for the setting. I had mine set to "Download updates..." but it had been changed to "Automatic(recommended)". Screenshot is below.


Why does this matter? Well, it seems the latest round of "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" bullshit (read: You're a fithy pirate until we say otherwise) will keep you from being able to download security updates until you prove to MS that you've actually paid for Windows. Which I guess is fine, if it works right, and if Microsoft can be trusted to not demand people arbitrarily buy new copies of Windows because their old versions didn't "pass" for some reason.. oh, wait. Fuck.

Also, I don't want MS's fucking Spyware Removal Tool or Malicious Software removal whatever installed on my PC. MS can't be trusted to objectively say what is and isn't spyware/viruses. They've already proven their decision can be bought if there's enough incentive for them to do so. There's just too much potential for abuse here; we really don't want MS to be selling weapons to both sides in this war.

Take 5 seconds to check your settings. Drop me an email if you have any questions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can confirm this! The same thing has happened to me on multiple occasions.

4/30/2006 5:43 PM  
Blogger Brendan said...

What did you expect? If you really want them to you (or "the customer" in general), give them the only type of incentive they understand: an economic one. Dump Windows. Spend a month or two learning Linux, and you'll never go back.

5/01/2006 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home